Whether doing simple gag panels, comic strips, or comic books with Clip Studio Paint, you’ll eventually be looking for some good fonts to fill those word balloons, caption your art, or complete some signage somewhere.
Here are a dozen resources for finding free fonts to use on your CSP projects. Before using one, be sure to look at the fine print on the font licenses. There are different definitions of “Free” in this space, from “free for your creator owned small press project” right up to “free for everything, share it all you like.” Do be sure to read the licenses as they apply to each font you may be interested in using.
A Mind Numbing Overwhelming Host of Free Fonts
- 613 fonts for free classified as “Comic Book Fonts”, including Blambot’s stuff:
Some stretch the definition of “Comic Book Font,” though….
- Blambot has a few free fonts listed. Look for the “F” in a word balloon next to the font name.
- Dafont has close to 500 fonts from the looks of it, though I bet there’s a lot of repetition there, too.
- 1001Fonts has 448 free fonts at FontSpace
A More Curated Lists of Free Fonts
- 25 Comics Fonts at Font Squirrel
- Font Collection: 10 Excellent Free Comic Book Fonts
- 30 Free Comic Fonts
- 40 Free Unique Cartoon and Comic Fonts
- Free Comic Book Fonts and Logos For Designers
- 25 Free Comic Fonts to Use Instead of Comic Sans
Just remember: Don’t use Comic Sans.